A Comprehensive Semen Analysis is what you need if you are concerned about your fertility. Together with a consultation with a Male Fertility Specialist and Blood studies it forms the basic evaluation of male fertility. We use both manual and computer assisted analysis to give the post accurate and diagnostic evaluation. A Comprehensive semen analysis consists of:
- Complete semen analysis including
- Volume – a measure of the amount of seminal fluid
- Concentration – the number of sperm in a specified volume of ejaculate
- Count – the total number of sperm in the specimen
- Motility – how the sperm move. The test includes both the percent of motile sperm as well as a measure of how fast, and in what direction, they move.
- Morphology (both WHO and “strict criteria”) – how the sperm look. This has been correlated with how the sperm function.
- Biochemical studies if required (e.g., fructose, peroxidase) – important when there is a concern about blockages and/or infection.
- Sperm antibody studies – particularliy important when motility is poor or there are signs of infection or prior injury.
- Post ejaculate urine evaluation for quantification of retrograde ejaculation – this is importnat in patients with diabetes or thise men that have had surgery that might affect ejaculation.
Please review the Semen Specimen Collection Requirements.