You can collect your specimen at home or in our office (Great Neck Office only). If you collect your specimen at home it should be collected no more than one hour prior to your arrival at our office in a sterile, wide-mouth container (this can be obtained from your local pharmacy or you can pick up a container at our office. If you are scheduled for a Comprehensive Semen Analysis you will need a second container for the urine specimen which should be given after your ejaculated specimen is given. Whichever you choose, please make sure that prior to collection you abstain from all sexual relations for 48 – 72 hours. This is to insure that the best possible sample will be analyzed.
(Please note: abstaining less than 48 hours or longer than 72 hours will yield a specimen that is not truly representative).
- Please abstain from ejaculating for 48-72 hours prior to specimen collection.
- Specimen can be collected at home or in the office.
- For specimens collected at home:
- Empty your bladder by urinating in the toilet.
- Collect the specimen by ejaculating into a sterile wide-mouthed container (obtain from local pharmacy or stop by our office).
- Place the labeled* container in the specimen bag and seal the bag.
- The specimen bag should be kept at body temeprature during transit. It should not be exposed to extremes of temperature. The best pace would be to hold the specimen close to your body.
- Please bring the sample to the office within one hour of collection to insure that the best possible specimen will be examined
- *Make sure that a label with your Name, your date of birth and today’s date is affixed to the container prior to the specimen leaving your possesion. Our protocol requires that any unlabeled specimen not be analyzed.
If you are scheduled for a COMPREHENSIVE SEMEN ANALYSIS you will need to urinate after producing your semen specimen into a SECOND sterile container (this container also needs to be labeled with your Name, Birth Date and Date of Specimen as well as the words URINE SPECIMEN).
If you have any questions about these instructions please call us. It’s important to have a properly collected specimen for evaluation to assure an accurate analysis.
If you have any questions please call us at 516-487-2700 or email info@NYCryo.com